Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas is nearly here...

and I have made these cute Lego sacks which I talked about in my last blog post. I actually finished these over a week ago but have been too busy organising for Christmas to take the photos and write this post! One of them is for Henry and I am giving the other to my nephews at Christmas time.

The two bags - empty and closed

Both of the sacks were made out of a lightweight denim on the outside with quilting cotton on the inside. If you wanted you could reverse it so the print was on the outside and it would still work fine. The ties are bias binding which I made myself using one of those little binding thingamagigs - which are so much fun to use!

Making these sacks was so satisfying, it's great to make something so easy that will really come in handy. The kids can play with the lego on the surface and then once they're done they just pull the ties and it all stays in the sack without any more cleaning up to do! My cousin had one when we were little and I still remember how much we loved it.


Henry's bag - filled with Duplo
The open sacks

At first I thought they were a bit on the small side even though I used the full width of the 112cm quilting fabric. So when I filled Henry's with the big Duplo sets which his Grandad bought for his birthday I was pleasantly surprised that there was plenty of room left in the bag - awesome! 


It looks just like a big prawn dumpling when it's closed!

If you are interested in making one of these, the tutorial is on the Make it Perfect blog.



3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea. Henry is a lucky boy to have a talented mummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy, I really loved making these! It helps solve the toy storage problem in our house too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Karen! If I didn't have so many other projects to finish before Christmas, I might try one as O is getting some duplo for his birthday (which is right after Christmas.)

    I agree with Andy, Henry is a very lucky boy :)

    ReplyDelete