Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hello world of blogging

I'm so excited to be writing my first blog post. I have been reading an awful lot of sewing blogs recently and for some reason I feel the need to share my creations with the world too, even if no one cares to look.

I'm like so many of the other sewing mamas out there. Mum taught me to sew when I was little on a really bunky old singer sewing machine. I always loved art and crafts as a kid but in my teens and early 20s I was more interested in other kinds of fun so it was only in my late 20's that I began slowly to rekindle my passion.

Now with a one year old boy, I have every excuse to sew and am loving it. I am by no means great, just a beginner but with every project I learn something and my skills (and patience) are starting to grow. There are also some great fabrics available now and thanks to the internet I have access to buy them all, even though I live in Perth which has so few great fabric shops.

Anyway, here is project number one completed: a christmas present for my wee man Henry. It is a Peekaboo Toy Sack - a free (YES, FREE!) tutorial on Toni Coward's Make it Perfect blog. I'm filling it with little wooden musical instruments for him and I think he will love it. It was so much fun and so easy to make that I can't wait to whip up some more and solve our burgeoning toy storage problem.



It only took about an hour to make, so if you like sewing I would highly recommend this as a fun project. I'm also planning on making a couple of lego sack's from Toni's blog for Christmas for Henry and my nephews. I am trying to make more meaningful gifts for Henry in a world where there are so many plastic toys.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great Karen! Well done. I too am trying to make the kids more meaningful gifts this Christmas and we are working together on a gifts for friends and family.

    ReplyDelete